This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Comments, Complaints & Suggestions

Comments and Suggestions



Please use this form for comments about the practice and suggestions as to how we can improve our service to you.  Medical matters and official complaints cannot be dealt with via this form.  If you have a query regarding a medical matter please telephone reception to make an appointment to see the appropriate person.

Complaints & Comments

 Let the practice know your views

The partners at Bridport Medical Centre are always looking for ways to improve the services offered to patients. To do this effectively, the practice needs to know what you think about the services you receive. We welcome constructive feedback - tell us what we do best, where we don’t meet your expectations plus any ideas and suggestions you may have. Only by listening to you can the practice continue to build and improve upon the service it offers.

We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice.

However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for complaint. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible.

Practice Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint about the service you have received from any member of staff working in this practice, please let us know. The practice operates a Complaints Procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our complaints system meets national criteria.

Note: If you make a complaint it is practice policy to ensure you are not discriminated against, or subjected to any negative effect on your care, treatment or support.

How to complain

In the first instance please discuss your complaint with the staff member concerned. Where the issue cannot be resolved at this stage, please contact Amanda Murphy (Deputy Manager) or Eilish Davoren (Practice Manager) who will try to resolve the issue and offer you further advise on the complaints procedure. If your problem cannot be resolved at this stage and you wish to make a formal complaint, please let us know as soon as possible, ideally within a matter of days. This will enable the practice to get a clear picture of the circumstances surrounding the complaint.

 If it is not possible to raise your complaint immediately, please let us have details of your complaint within the following timescales:

  •  Within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem


  • Within 12 months from when the complaint comes to your notice

The Practice will acknowledge your complaint within three working days.

The Practice will discuss the complaint with you, to agree with you how the complaint is going to be investigated and the timescale for this to be completed.

When the practice looks into your complaint it aims to:

  •  Ascertain the full circumstances of the complaint

  • Make arrangements for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this

  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate

  • Identify what the practice can do to make sure the problem does not happen again

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that Bridport Medical Centre keeps strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, the practice needs to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be required, unless they are incapable of providing this due to illness or disability.

Recommended sources of advice/support re complaints and complaining to other authorities

The practice management team hope that if you have a problem you will use the Practice Complaints Procedure.

However, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us, you can contact either of the following 2 bodies:

1. NHS England

The NHS is made up of numerous different organisations. NHS England is the organisation responsible for commissioning or purchasing primary care services (such as GPs, dentists, opticians, pharmacies etc.) on behalf of the population. You can make your complaint directly to them if you prefer. Contact details:

Phone: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm excluding English Bank Holidays). They will take a note of your compliant and arrange for it to be passed to the complaints manager.

Email; with “For the attention of the complaints manager” in the subject line.

Write to: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT


2. Dorset Advocacy - Help with NHS complaints

"Dorset Advocacy is a free and independent service that listens, offers support and representation to people who are unhappy about their experience with the NHS.  You may already have started a complaint, or you may just be wondering what to do next; we may be able to help you.  Call us on0300 343 7000, email on or use the contact form on our website to speak to one of our trained Independent Complaints Information Officers, who can tell you about the options for taking your complaint forward.  If you decide that you want to make a formal complaint, they can help you to set it out clearly and effectively. For more complex complaints we provide Independent Complaints Advocates who offer face to face support.  They may attend complaints hearings with you, helping you to prepare and put forward your case.

Dorset Advocacy also provides the Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA) service for Dorset, Poole and Bournemouth. By law people who are unable to make decisions about serious issues and have no one to speak up for them must be referred to the IMCA service. Enquiries can be made from staff, relatives or friends by calling the hotline 0845 3891762 – however a formal referral must be made by health or social care staff before work can begin."


Other organisations

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

The Ombudsman will normally only take on a complaint after you have first tried to resolve the issue with the surgery and have received a response from them. The Ombudsman believes the surgery should be given a chance to respond to your complaint and, where appropriate, try to put things right before they get involved.

Contact details: Phone: 0345 015 4033 or textphone 0300 061 4298. Helpline is open 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. To request a call back text “call back” with your name and mobile phone number to 07624 813005


Fax: 0300 061 4000

Write to: The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP


The Care Quality Commission

The CQC is the independent health and adult social care regulator. Their job is to make sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate and high-quality care. They do that by monitoring, inspecting and regulating services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety and they publish what they find, including performance ratings to help people choose care. The CQC doesn't manage individual complaints about GPs and their services but you can still let them know about your experiences should you wish to do so. Contact details:

 Phone: 03000 616161


Online form at

Action Against Medical Accidents

This is the UK charity for patient safety and justice. They provide free and confidential advice and support to people affected by medical accidents and can refer to a panel of specialist clinical negligence solicitors or other sources of support where appropriate.

Phone: 0845 123 2352 (Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm)


Healthwatch Dorset

Healthwatch is the independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public.  The aim of Healthwatch is to give citizens and communities a stronger voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services are provided within their locality. Although they can’t deal with individual complaints they can use your experience of the care you have received to help make services better in the future. Contact details:

Phone: 0300 111 0102 (calls cost the same as 01 or 02 numbers)


Write: FREEPOST RTJR-RHUJ-XBLH, Healthwatch Dorset, 896 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth BH7 6DL

Use our online “Speak Out” form at

You can also find us at Citizens Advice Bureau offices across Dorset, Poole and Bournemouth

Download a practice Comments & Complaints leaflet

pdf 15 02 Complaints Leaflet.pdf download a copy or pick up a leaflet from our Information Zone in the reception area of the medical centre.  This leaflet contains a Complaints & Comments form.

We have a comments box in reception which is checked weekly.


Other opportunities to give feedback

NHS Choices Review


Patient Participation Group

If you would like to get involved and have a say in the services we provide, visit the PPG page: click here 


Friends and Family Test

What is the Friends and Family Test?

"The Friends and Family Test (FFT) is a feedback tool that supports the fundamental principle that people who use NHS services should have the opportunity to provide feedback on their experience that can be used to improve services. It is not a traditional survey. It is a continuous feedback loop between patients and practices."

It comprises two simple questions:

  • a core question (which is the same for every practice): "How likely are you to recommend our GP practice to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment?"
  • a free text follow up question: "Please tell us why you feel that way about our practice."

Who can participate?

Any registered patient including children. The opportunity is further extended to carers and relatives. 

Support will be provided to:

  • Children and young people
  • Learning disabilities
  • Dementia
  • Deaf, blind and deaf/blind
  • Language and literacy

When should people participate in the test?

Pretty much any time that suits and certainly after any 'experience' with the GP service; this might be after an appointment, a telephone consultation, a home visit, a routine enquiry, booking an online appointment and more (see notes below).  You may be given a card, for instance after a consultation with your GP, to direct and encourage you to give feedback. 

This is not a one-off survey; you may respond after each 'experience'.

It is, however, voluntary.

How to participate in FFT

  • Our preferred method is for patients to submit feedback via the online link on the Home page. 
  • If you are visiting the surgery, there will be a computer tablet which you can use.  This is located in the reception area to the left of the main desk.
  • A paper form is available from reception.
  • If we have your mobile phone number and you receive appointment reminders vis SMS text messaging, after your appointment, you will  receive a text to enable you to take part in the Friends and Family Test.  A larger number of patients are currently offering feedback on the service provided by Bridport Medical Centre giving us a more accurate guide to patient satisfaction levels.

Please note: your responses will be anonymous and will not be linked to your name or medical record.

If you have any questions or queries or if you need any help in answering or understanding the questions, please speak to a member of the reception team - they can help you.


  • These will be published monthly on our website - Practice Performance - and will be displayed on the noticeboard in the 'Information Zone'.  If you do not want your anonymous comments published (Q2), please tick the relevant box on the survey form. 
  • Data (core question 1) will be uploaded to NHS England and NHS Choices websites.

Remember: FFT is Simple, Anonymous and Continuous

We look forward to your responses - you can see how we follow up - we welcome your feedback about every aspect of the service we provide

 You can find out more about FFT from the NHS England website


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website